Tuesday 12 January 2016

Presenting at Cardiac Rehab

Honoured to have been asked by our local cardiac rehab unit to once again be part of their education programme in 2016. First session this year is in two days time.



In 2008, a year after my heart attack I was invited to give a “one-off” talk at the cardiac rehab unit on the Gold Coast. This happened not long after I had given a number of interviews for TV and our local newspaper in which I was asked about my heart event and my experience dealing with 29 cardioversions/resuscitations and having three stents for a 100% blockage to the right coronary artery and then five days later, a triple bypass for blockages on the left side of the heart.





Being asked to present to people doing cardiac rehab about how I coped with my heart attack and subsequent depression, anxiety and panic attacks was something I embraced without hesitation and was something that I can now look back on that helped me deal with these issues – to say this was cathartic would be an understatement.

After this “one-off” talk I was asked to become a “regular” part of the cardiac rehab programme and was more than happy to accept this request - this was in late 2008.

Now, going on eight years after my first talk, I will be continuing with my presentations and although the format has changed over the years, my experiences have not and sharing these with those present at each session is something I thoroughly enjoy – it is indeed gratifying seeing people in front of you nodding in agreement when you make a point or comment on an experience you have been through and it tells you that you are “connecting” and that what you are talking about is relevant.

Of particular interest is when I talk about my diabetes and my need to be aware of this and the impact of this insidious disease on the heart – you can see straight away who amongst those present also deals with diabetes by their reactions to what I am saying.

Another topic I cover is memory loss and forgetfulness, two issues I had to deal with and issues that are often brought up during one of my talks.



Probably the most significant thing about my being part of the rehab education programme is that I have had a heart attack and bypass surgery and have actually been through the cardiac rehab programme itself. Unlike the staff (except for one person I am aware of) I am the only presenter who can speak from first-hand experience and I truly believe that this is so very important when offering a rehab programme.


So as 2016 begins I look forward to giving my first talk in two day’s .




No comments:

Post a Comment