Saturday 13 February 2016

Two Weeks of Pain from Shingles and Not Looking Like Stopping

Over two weeks now of pain with this damn shingles thing.


Rash has improved, skin sensitivity is better but still present and uncomfortable but the pain is something else. Doctor gave me Endep (Amitriptyline) last Monday to treat the nerve pain but after one night stopped with that, could not cope with the drowsiness and lethargy and the need to sleep all the time it gave me.

 

Been taking Panadol and Panadol Forte which helps but takes time to kick in each time I take it. Fed up with waking every morning around 3.00am-4.00am in pain and needing to take more Panadol, pain is worse at night for some reason, maybe because I end up lying on the side where the pain is coming from. This has been going on for nearly three weeks. Have made another appointment to see my doctor to see what else I can take for the pain.

To add to this I lost a molar tooth (the exposed part above the gumline) earlier in the week and on discussion with my dentist the next day he suggested that my immune system may have been compromised by the tooth which could have contributed to the shingles. Who knows? However, I do know my dental hygiene is very good and I see my dentist twice a year for check-ups/treatment.

And now, with half a tooth buried below the gumline and impacting on the sinus cavity and possibly contributing to on-going immune system issues which I need to be careful of with my heart situation, I now need to look at surgery to remedy that problem the first step for which will be on Monday with an appointment to see a dental surgeon for an assessment.

In simple terms, I need to minimise the chances of an infection at all times and in this case it could be caused by the broken tooth in the gum and/or through an intrusion into the sinuses.

My dentist even suggested that the way my molar deteriorated, sort of “rotted” out from the inside over a short period of time and then “sheared off” at the gumline whilst not common was not something unusual in people with a weakened immune system and in fact could very well have contributed to my getting shingles.

Being a T2 diabetic (since 2003) and also having had Graves Disease and my thyroid burnt out (in 1998 when I was 45), I am fully aware that these two diseases can and often do impact on a person’s immune system. Add to this the fact that a scratch from a cat (we have three) or a bite from bird (we have adopted a number of injured wild birds over the years) could lead to an infection, even a mild infection, and it becomes very apparent to me that my immune system is constantly being challenged.

And now, this week, I was reminded that in the case of a person like me who is already susceptible to a weakened immune system, that a bad tooth can also affect a person’s immune system.

Coincidentally, my GP (doctor) and my dentist have both had shingles in the past so they are aware of what I am going through and both of them are well under 60 – so much for shingles being an over 60’s disease. This begs the question of just how prevalent this disease might be but because no one talks about it, no one really knows just how many friends, family and work colleagues have or have had shingles.


One thing that is clear in the literature is that the sooner shingles is diagnosed and addressed with antiviral medication and maybe other medication, the greater the chances of minimising the severity of the attack.

The lesson out of all of this I guess is that at the slightest sign of a problem it is essential to get it checked out by a doctor to minimise the risk of it developing into something more serious.

For those with heart issues who have had stents or bypasses or valve replacements etc. who need to ensure they avoid infections this is doubly important and a message that needs to be understood by those so affected.

**********************

"Depending on the location of the involved nerve, the pain may be mistaken for a headache, appendicitis, heart attack or angina, sciatica, abdominal pain, or other conditions. Many sufferers have described the pain as extremely severe, and some even require narcotic pain-relief medications."

No comments:

Post a Comment